29 January 2018

Skandies: #20



[For those of you new to the Skandies, below is what placed 20th in each of these categories. Tomorrow all the #19s will be unveiled, then #18 the next day, etc. If you just want to know who won, check back here in 20 days.]

Picture: Downsizing (40/4)
Director: Albert Serra, The Death of Louis XIV (39/4)
Actress: Florence Pugh, Lady Macbeth (47/6)
Actor: Tim Robbins, Marjorie Prime (33/3)
S. Actor: Christoph Waltz, Downsizing (37/4)
S. Actress: (tie) Mary J. Blige, Mudbound (35/3)
S. Actress: (tie) Ana de Armas, Blade Runner 2049 (35/3)
Screenplay: Sean Baker & Chris Bergoch, The Florida Project (49/6)
Scene: Winter, Call Me by Your Name (36/4)



(This is just the closing credits, but I counted votes for the whole epilogue, which plays as one scene imo. Also, Vimeo finally noticed that I've spent years using their site to host copyrighted material and shut down my account, so you're only gonna see videos for Scene if they're on YouTube.)

HISTORY:

Serra makes his first appearance, having drummed up comparatively little support for Quixotic, Birdsong or Story of My Death.

Waltz, a previous Skandie winner in Supporting (for Inglourious Basterds, 2009), also placed 2nd and 13th in that category, for Django Unchained (2012) and Carnage (2011), respectively. I personally think two of the four performances, including this one here, are kind of terrible, but chacun à son gout. Speaking of terrible, Robbins' sole previous Skandie nod was a merciful (in the sense that at least he didn't fucking win) 6th place finish in Supporting for Mystic River back in 2003. The women are all new.

Congratulations to the Downsizing...frontlash? Would never have guessed back at TIFF that it would sneak on here, but I underestimated the Sallittist wing.

15 comments:

Nick Rogers said...

If I've missed this, apologies. But what is the significance of the parenthetical numbers following each entry?

md'a said...

Points/votes.

[Janet voice] Not a robot.

Nick Rogers said...

Got it. Thanks for helping me not feel like a fat dink.

Atli Sig said...

I would've much rather thought MARJORIE PRIME would be the one the Sallittists would squeeze into the top 20. Will this be the lowest rated film in Skandies top 20 history?

Anyway, here's my annual top 19 prediction:

1. NOCTURAMA
2. PHANTOM THREAD
3. CALL ME BY YOUR NAME
4. A GHOST STORY
5. THE FLORIDA PROJECT
6. mother!
7. DUNKIRK
8. PERSONAL SHOPPER
9. GOOD TIME
10. STAYING VERTICAL
11. LADY BIRD
12. A QUIET PASSION
13. GET OUT
14. BRAWL IN CELL BLOCK 11
15. FACES PLACES
16. THE LOST CITY OF Z
17. ON THE BEACH AT NIGHT ALONE
18. THE SALESMAN
19. WORMWOOD

md'a said...

You're 88 cell blocks off.

Atli Sig said...

Whoops! My mind must've gotten it confused with Don Siegel's RIOT IN CELL BLOCK 11.

Michael said...

Atli, I think you may be overestimating the broad appeal of Staying Vertical. Otherwise, I think you're doing great.

Atli Sig said...

I'm probably overestimating it a tad, most likely will be 2-3 places lower, but I feel like it has some passiondex on its side, from the Sallittists for instance...

thanksbud said...

Tom Robbins was awesome in the awesome MYSTICAL RIVER. Too bad my points did not get him into the top 5.

Jeff said...

Hopefully PERSONAL SHOPPER does better than Atli predicts.

When will Swami Muse chime in?

Ryan said...

When will Swami Muse chime in?

Well, alright, with the caveat that I'm out of the loop on where High Sallittism is these days.

01. NOCTURAMA
02. PHANTOM THREAD
03. DUNKIRK
04. MOTHER!
05. A GHOST STORY
06. PERSONAL SHOPPER
07. BRAWL IN CELL BLOCK 11
08. GET OUT
09. THE FLORIDA PROJECT
10. CALL ME BY YOUR NAME
11. GOOD TIME
12. A QUIET PASSION
13. THE LOST CITY OF Z
14. THE MEYEROWITZ STORIES (NEW AND SELECTED)
15. FACES PLACES
16. WORMWOOD
17. LADY BIRD
18. ON THE BEACH AT NIGHT ALONE

Not far from where Atli was. I can see one of SACRED DEER, MARJORIE PRIME or EX LIBRIS displacing one of those films.

Michael said...

If skipping the Thread helps seal a 'rama victory, I will be pleased as proverbial punch.

md'a said...

One interesting note: We have a tie in points this year (broken by number of votes; I still live in dread of an exact tie), which hadn't occurred since 1996 (in a category that no longer exists, Adapted Screenplay—John Hodge beat Anthony Minghella 232/16 to 232/15). I'm not saying the tie was in Best Picture, but I'm also not saying that it wasn't in Best Picture.

I am, however, saying that I am not a robot.

Max B. O'Connell said...

Out of curiosity, which of the earlier Waltz performances do you dislike?

md'a said...

You think I dislike him in Tarantino movies? Carnage, obviously.